From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:24:40
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 21:55, Jan Krueger wrote:
2
3 > So does fixing the security holes in portage. We have identified 2 big ones so
4 > far:
5 > 1. functions like pkg_postinst
6 > 2. easy to compromise bash scripts
7 > and another one is already well known:
8 > 3. the centralized portage tree
9 >
10 > That leads me to the conclusions:
11 > portage is unsecure by design
12 >
13 > Please (the one responsible for it) clearify the statement:
14 > "Thanks to a technology called Portage, Gentoo Linux can become an ideal
15 > secure server" in http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
16 >
17 > I have to remove gentoo from my servers a little bit faster it seems...
20 Ok, but .rpm/.deb have the same kind of flaws ... From here on I can
21 only see that you can use LFS or such, that you can make sure everything
22 is ok.
23
24 PS: How are you going to verify that gcc's cvs repo was not
25 compromised? Or the kernel's ? I guess you are going to
26 start coding you own kernel, tool-chain and the rest even
27 sooner now that we know how flawed linux, gnuish apps, etc
28 are.
33 Martin Schlemmer
34 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
35 Cape Town, South Africa