From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, kumba@g.o, lisa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] crossdev, distcc, and multiple toolchains... (was New global USE: crossdev)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:32:50
1 I'm all for the crossdev USE flag... I think there's a lot we can do
2 with it for moving away from crossdev towards a crosscompilation
3 toolchain straight out of portage...
4
5 First of all, I think we should have a binutils-config package similar
6 to gcc-config so we can switch between different toolchains... then we
7 can put the gcc-config and binutils-config options into
8 /etc/{init,conf}.d/distcc
9
10 Additionally, it would be nice if the gcc (and in the future, binutils)
11 profiles had the complete gentoo version string for the profile name:
12 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.0-r6 instead of x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.0.
13
14 Can SLOT be dynamically set yet based on use flags? IIRC, something
15 like the following isn't allowed because we're not supposed to have code
16 in the global section of an ebuild:
17
18 if use crossdev; then
19 SLOT="${PV}-${CTARGET}"
20 else
21 SLOT="${PV}"
22 fi
23
24 solar caught me commenting about crossdev stuff in #-dev earlier today,
25 and it looks like I volunteered to help at putting all this together...
26
27 Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
28
29 Lisa Seelye wrote:
30