From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 02:19:01
1 On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:12:17 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
5 > >
6 > > If the 20MB is a real problem, I think the alternative is to have two
7 > > versions of the "minimal CD". Otherwise it seems to me that Gentoo is
8 > > discriminating against people who cannot see the screen, and I would
9 > > consider that to be very tacky at best.
10 > >
11 > > Someone (rdalek1967) said the problem was an extra 2.5 hours time for
12 > > download over dialup. If that is correct, we are looking at 12.5 hours
13 > > instead of 10 hours (about 25% increase, but 10 hours is a long time,
14 > > and I don't know that 12.5 hours is subjectively that much longer).
15 > >
16 > > So, to answer William's original question, one way or another we should
17 > > provide a minimal CD with the speech software on it in my opinion.
18 > >
19 > > Regards,
20 > > Ferris
21 > >
22 > > --
23 > > Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
24 > > Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)
27 > One problem I will mention but in most cases wouldn't matter. Most
28 > dial-up ISPs have connect time limits. AT&T for example is 12 hours, my
29 > current ISP is 10 but some are as little as 4 hours. When that limit is
30 > reached, it disconnects. This happens even if there is data flowing.
31 >
32 > If, this is a big if here, a person has one of these and cannot resume
33 > the download, this could become a issue even if they have a long connect
34 > time like AT&T. I use Kget to download huge files or CDs since it has a
35 > resume feature. However, are the tools on the CD, wget I guess, resumable?
38 wget claims it is: The example in the man page is
39 =======================
40 wget -c ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/ls-lR.Z
41
42 If there is a file named ls-lR.Z in the current directory,
43 Wget will assume that it is the first portion of the remote
44 file, and will ask the server to continue the retrieval from
45 an offset equal to the length of the local file.
46 ========================
47
48 > I do think this is a good idea even if it is a separate CD to download.
49 > Also something to remember when making the stage tarballs I guess.
50 >
51 > Dale
52 >
56 Regards,
57 Ferris
58 --
59 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
60 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)