From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 01:12:26
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 >
3 > If the 20MB is a real problem, I think the alternative is to have two
4 > versions of the "minimal CD". Otherwise it seems to me that Gentoo is
5 > discriminating against people who cannot see the screen, and I would
6 > consider that to be very tacky at best.
7 >
8 > Someone (rdalek1967) said the problem was an extra 2.5 hours time for
9 > download over dialup. If that is correct, we are looking at 12.5 hours
10 > instead of 10 hours (about 25% increase, but 10 hours is a long time,
11 > and I don't know that 12.5 hours is subjectively that much longer).
12 >
13 > So, to answer William's original question, one way or another we should
14 > provide a minimal CD with the speech software on it in my opinion.
15 >
16 > Regards,
17 > Ferris
18 >
19 > --
20 > Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
21 > Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)
24 One problem I will mention but in most cases wouldn't matter. Most
25 dial-up ISPs have connect time limits. AT&T for example is 12 hours, my
26 current ISP is 10 but some are as little as 4 hours. When that limit is
27 reached, it disconnects. This happens even if there is data flowing.
28
29 If, this is a big if here, a person has one of these and cannot resume
30 the download, this could become a issue even if they have a long connect
31 time like AT&T. I use Kget to download huge files or CDs since it has a
32 resume feature. However, are the tools on the CD, wget I guess, resumable?
33
34 I do think this is a good idea even if it is a separate CD to download.
35 Also something to remember when making the stage tarballs I guess.
36
37 Dale
38