From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 00:52:20
1 On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:14:57 -0500
2 Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 05/23/2009 05:56 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
5 > > William Hubbs wrote:
6 > >> [snip]
7 > >> My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
8 > >> being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
9 > > I agree, it should be in our minimal and live CD's. There is no reason
10 > > to consider blind persons out of the minimal CD.
11 >
12 > The real issue here is the size. If these additional packages plus all of the
13 > alsa modules add 20MB to the minimal CD, it's just not worth it. It's not
14 > "minimal" anymore.
15 >
16 > --
17 > Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
18 > Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead
19 >
20 If the 20MB is a real problem, I think the alternative is to have two
21 versions of the "minimal CD". Otherwise it seems to me that Gentoo is
22 discriminating against people who cannot see the screen, and I would
23 consider that to be very tacky at best.
24
25 Someone (rdalek1967) said the problem was an extra 2.5 hours time for
26 download over dialup. If that is correct, we are looking at 12.5 hours
27 instead of 10 hours (about 25% increase, but 10 hours is a long time,
28 and I don't know that 12.5 hours is subjectively that much longer).
29
30 So, to answer William's original question, one way or another we should
31 provide a minimal CD with the speech software on it in my opinion.
32
33 Regards,
34 Ferris
37 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
38 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)