From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AUTHORS file for portage repository
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 23:02:50
1 On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 5:49 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 16:01 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > That git manages not to die every day based on what we throw at it is
7 > > > frankly a miracle of engineering.
8 > >
9 > > Our repo is a linked list being constantly manipulated from the head
10 > > backed by a hashed object store for the contents. For that use case
11 > > it is probably the ideal data structure. Since our use case is
12 > > actually the typical use case, it isn't a surprise that this was the
13 > > design that was chosen... :)
14 > >
15 > > Computers are pretty fast when you actually use the correct algorithm...
18 > Yes, computers are fast and their work is cheap. On the other hand,
19 > humans are not fast and their time is expensive. Now use the power of
20 > human thinking to infer this to what you're doing to this thread.
23 Not wasting everybody's time with personal attacks?
26 Rich