From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AUTHORS file for portage repository
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:50:24
1 On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 16:01 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > That git manages not to die every day based on what we throw at it is
5 > > frankly a miracle of engineering.
6 >
7 > Our repo is a linked list being constantly manipulated from the head
8 > backed by a hashed object store for the contents. For that use case
9 > it is probably the ideal data structure. Since our use case is
10 > actually the typical use case, it isn't a surprise that this was the
11 > design that was chosen... :)
12 >
13 > Computers are pretty fast when you actually use the correct algorithm...
16 Yes, computers are fast and their work is cheap. On the other hand,
17 humans are not fast and their time is expensive. Now use the power of
18 human thinking to infer this to what you're doing to this thread.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny