From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [EAPI 7] The future goals for PORTDIR, ECLASSDIR and... LICENSEDIR?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:51:57
1 >>>>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 18:49:03 -0500
4 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> All told, I think i'm in favour of banning the variables, and
7 >> potentially providing getter functions that would output the path
8 >> of these files if they need to be accessed -- '$(get_eclasspath
9 >> [name])' or $(get_licensepath [name]) or the like. I don't know if
10 >> these could be implemented in-eclass or if they would be something
11 >> that would have to be added to EAPI7..?
12
13 The more I think about the idea of having a LICENSEDIR containing
14 symlinks, the less I like it. It would add the overhead of creating
15 the dir to all ebuilds, whereas it would be used in a handful of cases
16 only. Also the symlinks won't be permanent, so postinst messages like
17 "read the license at ${LICENSEDIR}/GPL-2" cannot be used, unless the
18 ebuild would follow the link (e.g. using readlink) which seems clumsy.
19
20 So IMO a function like get_license_path is the better solution here.
21
22 > And if I understand your idea correctly, get_licensepath would still
23 > not work for binary packages.
24
25 Is there a scenario where LICENSEDIR would work, but the function
26 would not?
27
28 Ulrich