From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [EAPI 7] The future goals for PORTDIR, ECLASSDIR and... LICENSEDIR?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:27:47
1 On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 18:49:03 -0500
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 21/11/15 06:29 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
8 > > Probably not the ideal solution given that you seem to prefer
9 > > removal of such variables, but a REPODIR variable which is set to
10 > > the directory where the repo is (basically making PORTDIR dynamic
11 > > and setting it on a per package basis) could enable developers
12 > > to reference their repo when needed, allowing variable use in a
13 > > multi repo system. Additionally, if that idea is liked, I think
14 > > an array of the repos masters and/or their dirs (or some
15 > > functions to access that information) could also be useful. Like
16 > > get_masters and get_repo_dir functions.
19 > - From your description here REPODIR would only point to the current
20 > repo, so for licence-file access when the license is in the main
21 > gentoo repo, but the current repo is an overlay, it would still fail.
22 >
23 > Similar cases could occur for eclasses, especially since 'masters'
24 > in repo metadata allows multiple repos to be chained.
25
26 There's also the eclass-overrides problem.
27
28 > All told, I think i'm in favour of banning the variables, and
29 > potentially providing getter functions that would output the path of
30 > these files if they need to be accessed -- '$(get_eclasspath
31 > [name])' or $(get_licensepath [name]) or the like. I don't know if
32 > these could be implemented in-eclass or if they would be something
33 > that would have to be added to EAPI7..?
34
35 get_eclasspath doesn't solve the issue of storing random stuff under
36 eclass/ subdirectories, I think. And if I understand your idea
37 correctly, get_licensepath would still not work for binary packages.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny
42 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>