From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding the sandbox, or ...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:09:49
1 If you want to overide sandbox you can do it one of two ways:
2
3 1) Overide it in portage by editing your /etc/make.conf file and adding
4 a line of FEATURES="" at the bottom.
5
6 2) Overide it for this package/path. Edit your version of the iptables
7 ebuild with a statement of addwrite "/usr/sbin"
8
9 BUT, installing something in a different location other than /usr should
10 not spark a sandbox error. Sandbox is only concerned with a compilation
11 writing things outside the temporary image area.
12
13 You have to understand that when you ebuild is built it goes through
14 these main steps: (there's technically more, but these are the most
15 important)
16
17 unpack - tarballs are unpacked into /var/tmp/portage/ebuild_name/work
18 compile - ./configure and make are run -- this is where sandbox is most
19 important and should not find an error
20 install - make install is run with paths to install to
21 /var/tmp/portage/ebuild_name/image
22 merge - files from /var/tmp/portage/ebuild_name/image are "merged" with
23 / (or whatever $ROOT is set to)
24
25 So, to answer your question ${D} is /var/tmp/portage/ebuild_name/image/
26
27 -Jared H.
28
29 monkey wrote:
30 > On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:43:09PM +0300, thus spake Vitaly Kushneriuk:
33 >>Now that's silly. You say that system that uses NFS does not need a
34 >>firewall? Wow ;).
37 > NO!!!! You missed the point. I said that no firewall (itself) should use
38 > netmounted filesystems!
41 >>While iptables is a firewalling code it is not for a
42 >>"pure firewall" systems only. Pretty much every system should install at
43 >>least basic firewall, unless it's in a highly secure and trusted
44 >>environment with a good external firewall. And firewall should be
45 >>installed _before_ network comes up, so that there's no potential
46 >>opportunity window for an attack. That's why it should go to /sbin.
47 >>And this _is_ FHS compliant.
50 > Point about FHS compliance taken. I still don't think that the
51 > rationalization for the installdir move is valid, but that is another
52 > matter entirely and not relevant to anyone but me. This has really turned
53 > into more of an academic study as to why I am unable to modify the ebuild
54 > to relocate the installation directories more than anything else at this
55 > point. I didn't mean to irritate anybody, just wondered why it was so, and
56 > how I could change things more to my taste. Thanks for the replies. Is
57 > there any documentation that will explain the sandbox feature and how it
58 > is defined in my ebuild. I have done a very simple ebuild, and I still get
59 > sandbox violations. Where is the ${D} variable defined/set? Thanks again
60 > for any help/pointers.
61 >
62 > geoffrey