From: monkey <monkey@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding the sandbox, or ...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:39:09
1 On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:43:09PM +0300, thus spake Vitaly Kushneriuk:
2
3 > Now that's silly. You say that system that uses NFS does not need a
4 > firewall? Wow ;).
5
6 NO!!!! You missed the point. I said that no firewall (itself) should use
7 netmounted filesystems!
8
9 > While iptables is a firewalling code it is not for a
10 > "pure firewall" systems only. Pretty much every system should install at
11 > least basic firewall, unless it's in a highly secure and trusted
12 > environment with a good external firewall. And firewall should be
13 > installed _before_ network comes up, so that there's no potential
14 > opportunity window for an attack. That's why it should go to /sbin.
15 > And this _is_ FHS compliant.
16
17 Point about FHS compliance taken. I still don't think that the
18 rationalization for the installdir move is valid, but that is another
19 matter entirely and not relevant to anyone but me. This has really turned
20 into more of an academic study as to why I am unable to modify the ebuild
21 to relocate the installation directories more than anything else at this
22 point. I didn't mean to irritate anybody, just wondered why it was so, and
23 how I could change things more to my taste. Thanks for the replies. Is
24 there any documentation that will explain the sandbox feature and how it
25 is defined in my ebuild. I have done a very simple ebuild, and I still get
26 sandbox violations. Where is the ${D} variable defined/set? Thanks again
27 for any help/pointers.
28
29 geoffrey
30 --