From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding the sandbox, or ...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:43:23
1 On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 00:44, monkey wrote:
2 > ... how can I get something installed in /usr/sbin? This will probably
3 > open up a can of worms, but here I go. I want to change the ebuild for
4 > iptables-1.2.6a to install with the prefix "/usr". Why, well I feel that
5 > it is more FHS-compliant since the reasoning in the ebuild states that
6 > things were moved back to /sbin and /lib to help people with netmounted
7 > /usr systems get things working properly. I take exception to that on two
8 > points: one, iptables is firewalling code and nothing more, and two, no
9 > firewall should have netmounted systems. The FHS recommends keeping / as
10 > free of things as possible. Only applications needed to repair filesystems
11 > and get simple communication going are recommended for install in /. Since
12 > no firewall should have any netmounted filesystems, I don't see the
13 > validity in the argument for moving everything into /sbin and /lib.
14 > However, changing the ebuild to fix this results in a "sandbox violation"
15 > and the emerge fails. So, how can I bypass the sandbox for my iptables
16 > install? This is not a swipe at the maintainer, I just have a different
17 > opinion of where I want my userspace firewall code to live. Thanks for any
18 > pointers.
19 >
20 > geoffrey
21
22 Now that's silly. You say that system that uses NFS does not need a
23 firewall? Wow ;). While iptables is a firewalling code it is not for a
24 "pure firewall" systems only. Pretty much every system should install at
25 least basic firewall, unless it's in a highly secure and trusted
26 environment with a good external firewall. And firewall should be
27 installed _before_ network comes up, so that there's no potential
28 opportunity window for an attack. That's why it should go to /sbin.
29 And this _is_ FHS compliant.
30
31 /Vitaly.