From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:06:14
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:40:47PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
4 >
5 > > >Hey! A www.sistina.com (LVM) person trying Gentoo Linux! Thanks ;)
8 > Unfortunately, I don't think you have "vi" at this point. Try grabbing the
9 > portage tree from your non-chrooted system, and then copy it to /usr/portage
10 > under your chrooted system. Then, add the CFLAGS that you want to
11 > /etc/make.conf and then one quick hack -- copy wget from your real system to
12 > /usr/bin on your Gentoo Linux system. We forgot to add that to build.tbz2.
13 > Then, create the /etc/resolv.conf and hosts files, and wget should then be
14 > able to download from the chrooted environment. At this point, Portage is
15 > ready for use.
16
17 daniel sys-i686... contains all sys apps it's not build.tbz2. So vi is
18 there and joe also.
21 I never used -p to extrac the tarball here, but I can remember that I
22 had this syslog problem here too.
23 I don't know how I fixed it but it was a real banal thing.
24 Unfortunately I don't have the sys tarball here, ibiblio is still
25 unavailable and sourceforge gives me 4k
26 so I can not test it at the moment.
27 Jerry told me he had a problem with the kernel on that tarball. He ment
28 root gets allways mounted ro and he
29 must manualy remount, then things work.
30 I took a look into initscripts-install and svc-syslog/klog should not
31 have caused the syslog problem (well I'm
32 awake too long this day). I'll test it after a few hours of sleep.
33
34 Hmm, I remember a similar problem when /var had a 700 permission. I
35 tested it a second ago and I got that error report:
36
37 multilog: fatal: unable to open directory /var/log/syslog.d: access
38 denied.
39
40 This can be the cause.
41