From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: support the Dev team with system resources
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 23:37:23
1 Am Donnerstag, 7. November 2013, 00:18:19 schrieb Denis M.:
2 > Hello gentoo-dev@,
3 >
4 > Starting with a little intro, I'm currently providing a Gentoo VM to a
5 > gentoo dev (Agostino Sarubbo (ago)) for the purpose of
6 > testing/stabilizing/keywording packages, which is part of his task as a
7 > developer and being part of the AT team. I've been running the VM for
8 > him for a couple of months now and AFAIK he's been giving it a great use
9 > ;-).
10 >
11 > The main idea here is to allow Gentoo contributors and members (not
12 > necessary) of the Gentoo community, to be able to support the developer
13 > team providing their spare system resources, by, for example, running a
14 > Virtual Machine (or any sort of xen, kvm, virtualbox, vmware,
15 > whatever...) instance where the devs can run tasks they'd normally
16 > wouldn't be able to run with their systems, because:
17 >
18 ...
19
20 I appreciate the idea, but security-wise it's pretty dangerous - given that
21 you as a Gentoo dev are doing sensitive work that may affect many people on a
22 machine not controlled by you yourself nor Gentoo Infra.
23
24 Call me paranoid, but please no. And in absolutely no case one should commit
25 to the tree from such a machine, even with stuff like agent forwarding.
29 Andreas K. Huettel
30 Gentoo Linux developer
31 dilfridge@g.o
32 http://www.akhuettel.de/