From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-completion eclass and USE flag
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:14:58
1 On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 02:18:27PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:11:35 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Saturday 23 October 2004 11:55 pm, Aaron Walker wrote:
5 > | > Currently bash-completion files are installed into
6 > | > /usr/share/bash-completion regardless of whether or not the user
7 > | > wants them.
8 > |
9 > | any reason we cant develop a package of bash-completion extras ?
10 > | then, if the user wants all these zany extras, they just `emerge
11 > | bash-completion-extras` ?-mike
12 >
13 > Yup. Each bash-completion file in use makes bash a bit slower to start
14 > up. If we installed and activated several hundred bash-completion files
15 > it'd get pretty painful. Hence the whole bash-completion-config thing...
16
17 /usr/share/bash-completion does not get sources by default so
18 installing files there by default does not cause any system
19 slow-down. I don't think useflag is needed to install those.
20
21 The only additional bash-completion script which gets
22 automaticaly installed is the gentoo-specific completion.
23 (bash-completion only sources the stuff in /etc)
24
25 Christian
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list