From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:19:42
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:09:03PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 04/10/2012 07:28 PM, Steven J Long wrote:
3 > > I suppose you could script that, but again, it just seems like a lot of
4 > > bother to implement an "alternative" that doesn't actually gain anything
5 > > over the traditional setup (plus making sure that partitions are mounted
6 > > before udev starts.)
7 >
8 > At least in the case of udev, we gain from not having to maintain a fork.
9 >
10 > > As for the burden of ensuring that binaries installed to /{s,}bin don't link
11 > > to libs in /usr, why not just automate a QA check for that, and let
12 > > developers decide whether a fix is necessary? After all, core packages that
13 > > do that even when configured with prefix and execprefix = /, aren't so
14 > > portable, and Gentoo has always championed "doing the right thing" wrt
15 > > helping upstream fix portability issues.
16 >
17 > If the relevant ebuild developers really want to support that, it's fine
18 > I guess. Hopefully that won't involve using static links as workarounds
19 > for cross-/usr dependencies.
20
21 Another issue to consider is binaries that want to access things in
22 /usr/share/*. If a binary in /{bin,sbin} needs to access something in
23 /usr/share/*, you have two choices. move the binary to /usr or move the
24 thing it wants to access to / somewhere which would involve creating
25 /share. Actually there is another choice, but I don't want to go there.
26 That would be writing patches.
27
28 The best way to solve all cross / - /usr dependencies imo is the /usr
29 merge (moving everything from /{bin,sbin,lib*} to the counterparts in
30 /usr), which has been discussed pretty extensively on this list, and
31 there hasn't been a lot of opposition to it.
32
33 William