From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:05:03
1 On 02/17/2016 09:54 AM, brettrsears@×××××.com wrote:
2 >
3 > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
4 >
5 > -----Original Message-----
6 > From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com>
7 > Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:01:32
8 > To: <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
9 > Reply-to: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
10 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
11 >
12 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
16 >> eudev has every commit scrutinized by people who care about using it on
17 >> Gentoo. systemd-udev does not. Consequently, eudev has avoided the system
18 >> boot breaking regressions that prompted its creation. That is a good reason
19 >> to make it the new default. If it fails to fulfill its duties, then this
20 >> could be revisited, but that should be unlikely.
21 >>
22 >> I think if someone could enumerate those specific breakages and present it
23 > as evidence, that could get more people on board for this change. Moreso
24 > than just "upstream doesn't care about us" or "eventually split udev will
25 > be impossible".
26 >
27 > -Ben
30 This is something that I think many of us who had systems broken by
31 sys-fs/udev multiple times before sys-fs/eudev was an option thought was
32 obvious.
33
34 If a complete list of the breakages that lead to the creation of
35 sys-fs/eudev were produced, I imagine that the list would have at least
36 3 to 5 items from the ~18 months before sys-fs/eudev with half of them
37 were probably self inflicted by sys-fs/udev maintenance.
38
39 I recall one incident involving whether udev should be in /sbin or
40 /usr/sbin being resolved after 6 months of debate between then future
41 eudev founders and sys-fs/udev maintainers only because the systemd
42 developers told the sys-fs/udev maintainers it should be in /sbin like
43 others had told them.
44
45 Another broke support for older kernels for no apparent benefit (and
46 this sort of regression naturally enters sys-fs/udev):
47
48 https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/eeb8d70a6b38f736febaa4c3b03e39b4c1193a6c
49
50 There were other issues too, but I am unable to volunteer the time
51 required to go through history to figure out what was broken, when and
52 for how long.