From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:41:21
1 Chris Gianelloni posted <1115136614.889.281.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 03 May 2005 12:10:14 -0400:
3
4 > I think an easier solution would be a portage rescue set of profiles.
5 > These would be minimal profiles not designed for actual use, but only for
6 > performing a portage update for those people that lag too far behind. The
7 > idea would be a very tiny profile, per arch, that is not cascaded.
8
9 I like! In some cases, they may be combine-able, as well multiple archs
10 to a profile, if they are sufficiently minimal. They could remain for
11 some time to point people to if/as necessary.
12
13 My idea for an archive was that this should be pretty low traffic, and
14 would get it off the rsync mirrors and clean out the profile tree, making
15 things less confusing. However, put them in a single "emergency-profile"
16 subtree, and make them tiny enough, and it would do almost as well, while
17 at the same time still being conveniently located in the portage tree.
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
23 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list