From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building a portage repo?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:41:30
1 Dnia 14 września 2016 09:01:43 CEST, alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us napisał(a):
2 >In my work on a sparc64 port of Gentoo i have found it easier to just
3 >fork the portage repo, patch things, and merge upstream changes /
4 >resolve conflicts as they happen. The problem is that this isn't really
5
6 Portage is the package manager. The repository is named gentoo. Please use correct names because till the last paragraph, I thought you were actually referring to the package manager (and wtf-ed why would you distribute its sources via rsync).
9 >the best way to test things on any kind of scale. My plan is to build a
10 >
11 >script that does the following.
12 >
13 >1. pull latest portage tree from git
14 >2. apply patches
15 >3. merge new portage tree to rsync server for clients.
16 >
17 >The issue is that pulling from git i seem to be missing a ton of data,
18 >I.E. manifests and metadata like news (i'm assuming news is metadata).
19 >What is the utility that is used to take the git tree and generate all
20 >of this metadata, egencache?
21 >
22 >Am i correct in assuming that after applying patches, running repoman
23 >and subsequently egencache should give me the same type of portage tree
24 >
25 >that is currently officially distributed to users?
26
27 Partially. You probably need to update layout.conf, to get desired manifest format first. Then remanifest, egencache with all options. You will also need to include additional repositories for news, glsas and fetch extra files for projects.xml.
28
29 Generally, it's easier to fetch https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo that has all the extra content included. However, if you want it 100% rsync compliant, you will still have to patch layout.conf and remanifest.
30
31 Also note that the manifest format will be subject to change in the future, to support fully GPG-signed repository.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny (by phone)