From: alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Building a portage repo?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:20:32
1 In my work on a sparc64 port of Gentoo i have found it easier to just
2 fork the portage repo, patch things, and merge upstream changes /
3 resolve conflicts as they happen. The problem is that this isn't really
4 the best way to test things on any kind of scale. My plan is to build a
5 script that does the following.
6
7 1. pull latest portage tree from git
8 2. apply patches
9 3. merge new portage tree to rsync server for clients.
10
11 The issue is that pulling from git i seem to be missing a ton of data,
12 I.E. manifests and metadata like news (i'm assuming news is metadata).
13 What is the utility that is used to take the git tree and generate all
14 of this metadata, egencache?
15
16 Am i correct in assuming that after applying patches, running repoman
17 and subsequently egencache should give me the same type of portage tree
18 that is currently officially distributed to users?