From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Things one could be upset about
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:13:35
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 06:51:01 +0100 Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:51:31 +0000
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:44:25 +0100
6 > > Róbert Čerňanský <openhs@×××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > From my point of view it would do much help if portage resolves USE
8 > > > dependencies automatically instead of telling the user to change USE
9 > > > flags manually (I am talking about bug #258371).
10 > >
11 > > This is only possible in carefully selected circumstances, and to get
12 > > it to work more generally would require a lot of hinting from package
13 > > maintainers.
14 >
15 > But portage already knows that. It tells the user which USE flags
16 > needs to be changed in order to emerge a package. It should just go
17 > one step further - to make the proposed change happen by itself.
18
19 And ofter it proposes multiple alternative ways to fix this. How do
20 you suppose to select between multiple possible alternative
21 solutions then? Another issues is that sometimes it will be
22 preferred by the user to disable offending functionality at all.
23
24 Good example here is sci-libs/hdf5. Set USE="cxx threads mpi" in
25 make.conf. Have fun. Especially if in one application (depending on
26 hdf5) you really need cxx support and in another one (also
27 depending on hdf5) mpi support is really needed. In some cases it is
28 preferred to disable hdf5 support at all.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew Savchenko