From: "Mateusz A. Mierzwin'ski" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:56:04
1 Richard Freeman pisze:
2 > Mateusz A. Mierzwin'ski wrote:
3 >> And I strongly suggest to leave old mechanism of portage, because we
4 >> saw couple times what _GREAT_ automatic makes with distro - eg.
5 >> Mandriva with all creators and cheap installer - couple apps not
6 >> running, low performance.
7 >>
8 >> Don't get me wrong - I also have that problems, and they make me
9 >> nervous, but when I think what could I done by automatic replace
10 >> package or binary then I get to thinking that everything is ok...
11 >
12 > Nobody is suggesting getting rid of all blocks or automating upgrades
13 > that shouldn't be automated.
14 >
15 > They're suggesting adding a little more intelligence to the current
16 > system. Really safe upgrades might happen automatically. Others
17 > might still fail, but would contain more informational errors. Others
18 > might just continue as they do currently.
19 >
20 > You don't complain when you upgrade from shorewall 3.4.7 to 3.4.8 and
21 > portage auto-uninstalls 3.4.7 when you're done, do you? The whole
22 > point of a package manager is to automate routine and safe
23 > activities. The alternative is manual install of tarballs...
24 And tell me, why whole day _no_one_ could wrote that like this? Thanks
25 for info.
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list