From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Plans for a Gentoo/LoongArch port
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 06:40:00
1 >>>>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2021-08-12 at 09:21 +0800, WANG Xuerui wrote:
4 >> I would say this is mostly aesthetic matter, because we have equally
5 >> long ARCH names like "microblaze" or "openrisc" too. From a user's
6 >> perspective I'd personally prefer "loong" to save some typing, but
7 >> "loongarch" wouldn't hurt that much either.
8
9 > I think following upstream (i.e. "loongarch" convention) is better.
10 > We have already caused some mess with custom names like "arm64".
11
12 Can we please keep these identifiers short? Currently all ARCH names are
13 5 characters at most (except prefix, of course). The total length of the
14 KEYWORDS line isn't the main issue here, but tools like eshowkw or
15 tables in the various web interfaces.
16
17 It is also in GLEP 53 if you need a formal reference:
18 "Note that no limit on the length of both fields in the keyword are
19 imposed. However, we cannot overemphasize our preference to keep
20 keywords small and sensible."
21
22 Ulrich