From: Jayson Garrell <kyi@×××××××××.net>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RPM installer for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:26:47
1 On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 12:16, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Is their currently a script/program out there that will install an RPM
3 > onto a Gentoo system? I'm not talking about 'rpm --nodeps -i file.rpm'.
4 > I mean a program that will parse the RPMs dependencies and then use
5 > portage to try and satisfy those dependencies, write a dummy ebuild,
6 > then use portage to install it. Yes, I know RPMs are the spawn of Satan.
7 > No, I do not need this program for myself. I just think it would be an
8 > interesting project.
9
10 I remember using a program in Debian called 'Alien'. It would convert
11 rpm's into .deb, .tar.gz, or convert to .deb install the package and
12 remove the .deb it created. It could probably be extended to do the same
13 to create .ebuild's.
14
15 I'll download the sources and take a look.
16
17 Jayson Garrell
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list