From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:30:43
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > You'd really want to a "which do you prefer, which can you use"
4 > survey, then; You don't really want to choose the result preferred by
5 > the most people, rather you want the result which is usable by the
6 > most people.
7
8 I tend to agree. Donnie said something in his manifesto which I think
9 applies here: any of the proposed solutions is probably better than
10 doing nothing.
11
12 If I forget to tweak my locale and I end up with a comma as a decimal
13 mark it isn't the end of the world, and neither is some output in
14 metric units. I've ended up working on many a global system where
15 times get reported in GMT and people put up with the inconvenience
16 because they realize that any standard is better than no standard.
17
18 What is the real end-user impact of any of this stuff anyway? During
19 the install the thing that matters is being able to partition disks
20 and compile kernels and such. I doubt that too many users will be
21 dependent on installer locale settings for displaying weather reports
22 or such. If they don't set locale, then it is like not setting
23 localtime - you just get to live with some default. I would imagine
24 that at least by having a UTF-8 locale users would be able to do
25 things like set full names of users using unicode, etc.
26
27 Rich