From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:41:22
1 Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > [ebuild R ] sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks-1.0.3-r2
4 > [ebuild U ] x11-terms/rxvt-unicode-7.9 [7.8-r1]
5 > [ebuild U ] sci-chemistry/gromacs-3.3.1 [3.3]
6 > [ebuild UD] app-foo/bar-1.0.2 [1.1.0]
7 > [ebuild U ] app-text/evince-0.5.5 [0.5.4]
8 >
9 > Why do you think emerge has columnar output like this, notice how the D
10 > is in a different column than anything else, it makes it pretty easy to
11 > spot, if you are too lazy to at least scan the output of emerge -p
12 > before actually running the emerge, don't complain when you break your
13 > system.
14 >
15 While it is columnar, the D is in a dark blue font. If you happen to be
16 using a dark background, there is extremely little contrast. Perhaps it
17 could be a different color that would stick out in both light and dark
18 backgrounds?
19
20 Also something that has always bugged me... isn't the U supposed to be
21 for upgrade and the D for downgrade? In this case, it would make sense
22 to only show the D when downgrades will occur, and not both, wouldn't it?
23
24 Not that I have ever had a problem with downgrades (that I remember),
25 but I think these two tidbits would probably be an overall improvement.
28 Joshua Nichols
29 Gentoo/Java - Project Lead
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list