From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gnupg2 only vs gnupg-1 & gnupg-2
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:25:31
1 On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 21:02 +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > > I would also strongly favor if both gnupg-1 and gnupg-2 could be kept
5 > > in different slots.
6 >
7 > And maybe an eselect (or similar) to select whether external programs
8 > which call use gpg-1 or gpg-2.
9
10 That's the beauty of both upstream design and reality.
11
12 THERE IS NO NEED FOR ESELECT
13
14 Apps will either use and/or be developed for gnupg-1 or gnupg-2. They
15 are different binaries, versioned by upstream. Have different features
16 and functionality. Since gnupg-2 is not a full replacement or supports
17 all of gnupg-1's features.
18
19 Think gtk vs gtk2 or apache vs apache2. We quite commonly have two
20 versions of something in tree during the transition period. Why that is
21 unacceptable here is beyond me.
22
23 Not to mention again, we are limiting choice, and forcing one or the
24 other. Which is not a complete solution, and makes our offerings less
25 than all other mainstream distros.
28 William L. Thomson Jr.
29 Gentoo/Java