From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing the metastructure (was: [Council] Summary of the last meeting)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:05:12
1 On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 08:27 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > The current metastructure (as documented in GLEP 39) is a little
3 > unusual; it's a proposal that was voted in by all Gentoo developers.
4 >
5 > As such, as a point of principle, should the council be able to
6 > change/override/replace the rules in GLEP 39 w/out putting it to a
7 > vote of all Gentoo developers?
8
9 Well, let's make it simpler, then. Does it say anywhere in GLEP 39 that
10 the elected Council cannot change it? Does it limit the council's
11 powers in any way?
12
13 > (As a second principle, if GLEP 39 is amended, wouldn't it be better
14 > to publish a new GLEP to superceed it, rather than revise the existing
15 > GLEP?)
16
17 For something like this, I think that merely noting that it was changed
18 via an amendment from the Council should be sufficient. I do agree that
19 changing it inline without such a note would be bad.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
24 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
25 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
26 Gentoo Foundation