From: Ryan Hill <rhill@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Removing src_test from www-client/chromium
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 03:38:42
1 On Tue, 27 May 2014 09:02:37 +0200
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It's more of a project-internal decision IMHO, but just wanted to get
5 > feedback from the larger community.
6 >
7 > Currently 11 out of 27 bugs assigned to chromium.g.o are related to test
8 > failures.
9 >
10 > I don't remember a single case where a test failure would point to a
11 > real bug in our package.
12 >
13 > I'm seriously considering just removing src_test to make the package
14 > more maintainable (less code, less bugs filed, can focus on things that
15 > *do* impact our users).
16 >
17 > If you decide to comment in favor of keeping src_test, please consider
18 > volunteering to help us with the bugs.
19 >
20 > Feel free to suggest solutions that fall somewhere in between - e.g.
21 > having src_test but not excluding any tests there and using
22 > RESTRICT=test, so that someone who really wants to run the tests FYI can
23 > do so.
24
25 I've said it before, but I think that by having packages in the tree that we
26 know consistently fail their testsuites, we create a situation where we are
27 worse off than if we simply disabled the tests for that package.
28
29 Let's look at what enabling tests gets you right now:
30
31 - additional dependencies
32 - longer compile times
33 - blockers
34 - lots of scrolly output
35 - devs ignore your bug reports
36 - absolutely no peace of mind because every third package fails for no good
37 reason
38
39 If I wasn't a dev I would have turned it off long long ago (and I suspect many
40 already have).
41
42 Test coverage is a good thing, so it'd be nice to give people an actual
43 incentive to do it.
44
45 So +1.
49 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
50 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
51
52 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463