From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 06:08:52
1 On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 20:24 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > The TL;DR is that a crack team of infra-folks[0] have been putting together
3 > demos of CI services and things like gitlab / gitea / gerrit and so on.
4 >
5 > Some of these come in combined (e.g. gitlab offers repo hosting, code
6 > review / pull reqs, CI services, and deploy services.) Some of these are
7 > piecemeal (e.g. gerrit has code review, zuul has CI) and gitea offers
8 > repo-hosting but CI is separate (e.g. drone.)
9 >
10 > On the infra-side, I think we are pretty happy with repo-hosting (gitolite)
11 > and repo-serving (gitweb). We are missing a CI piece and a pull-request
12 > piece. Most of the users using PRs use either a gitlab or github mirror.
13 >
14 > I think the value of CI is pretty obvious to me (and I see tons of use
15 > cases in Infra.) We could easily build CI into our current repository
16 > solution (e.g. gitolite.) However gitolite doesn't really support PRs in a
17 > uniform way and so CI is mostly for submitted code; similar to the existing
18 > ::gentoo repo CI offered by mgorny.
19 >
20 > If we build a code review solution (like gitea / gerrit) would people use
21 > it? Would you use it if you couldn't merge (because the code review
22 > solution can't gpg sign your commits or merges) so a tool like the existing
23 > pram tool would be needed to merge?
26 Does GitLab count? Gerrit is just PITA. I think we had some concerns
27 about Gitea, so I'd like to test it before deciding. GitLab OTOH works
28 just fine for a lot of projects, and seems the next best thing after
29 GitHub.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny