From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 03:25:12
1 The TL;DR is that a crack team of infra-folks[0] have been putting together
2 demos of CI services and things like gitlab / gitea / gerrit and so on.
3
4 Some of these come in combined (e.g. gitlab offers repo hosting, code
5 review / pull reqs, CI services, and deploy services.) Some of these are
6 piecemeal (e.g. gerrit has code review, zuul has CI) and gitea offers
7 repo-hosting but CI is separate (e.g. drone.)
8
9 On the infra-side, I think we are pretty happy with repo-hosting (gitolite)
10 and repo-serving (gitweb). We are missing a CI piece and a pull-request
11 piece. Most of the users using PRs use either a gitlab or github mirror.
12
13 I think the value of CI is pretty obvious to me (and I see tons of use
14 cases in Infra.) We could easily build CI into our current repository
15 solution (e.g. gitolite.) However gitolite doesn't really support PRs in a
16 uniform way and so CI is mostly for submitted code; similar to the existing
17 ::gentoo repo CI offered by mgorny.
18
19 If we build a code review solution (like gitea / gerrit) would people use
20 it? Would you use it if you couldn't merge (because the code review
21 solution can't gpg sign your commits or merges) so a tool like the existing
22 pram tool would be needed to merge?
23
24 -A
25
26 [0] Mostly arzano, if I'm honest. I am just the point-y haired manager in
27 this effort.