From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 06:08:53
1 On 07/26/2017 10:05 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 07/25/2017 02:28 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> Does a bug # really need to always be in the summary line? It can eat
4 >> valuable characters and tags which are pretty popular are equally valid IMO.
5 >
6 > I would prefer the summary to be informative without having bug ID at
7 > all. Summary should describe the change ,not only "fixes XXX", the bug
8 > reference belongs in body (tags)
9 >
10 +1. I tend to add bug numbers in my summary, but it makes it very
11 challenging to put something meaningful into the remaining characters.
12 We already put 'category/pkg:' or 'dir/file:' for a prefix. Adding 6 or
13 7 characters to that already considerable deficit cuts ~15% of git's
14 recommended 50 characters, or 10% of our proposed 70.
15
16 Pushing this out to a tag -- and standardizing it -- will only improve
17 maintenance and speed up our onboarding process.
18
19 <bikeshed>
20 "Bug: xxxxxx" isn't my favorite since it requires tooling to actually
21 visit said bug (and doesn't clarify which bug platform to reference),
22 but a URL uses more bytes and infra may change. It's a tough choice, but
23 if we can find something that fits enough use cases, tooling shouldn't
24 be too difficult to write to make up for it. I already use a `bgo`
25 keyworded shortcut in Pale Moon to make bug searching faster; adding
26 another to navigate straight to a bug wouldn't be much trouble.
27 </bikeshed>
28 --
29 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
30 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
31 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6