From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:05:14
1 On Wednesday 14 March 2007 21:31, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > 1. As far as I'm concerned, the one thing that absolutely positively
3 > should have happened now but hasn't is some scheme where you have
4 > something like Red Hat/Fedora's "green checkmark/red bang" indicator on
5 > your desk, indicating whether your system is up to date, and a
6 > classification of the available updates into security, bug fixes and
7 > enhancements. I don't ever remember how long Red Hat has had that, and I
8 > know Debian and the other apt-based package managers have something
9 > similar, even if it's just a command-line level. On Gentoo, even with
10 > the latest Portage, I do "emerge --sync; emerge -puvDN world" and just
11 > get a list. There's no way to tell which of those are must-haves for
12 > security without reading changelogs.
13 Modify and add this to your crontab:
14
15 30 6 * * * /usr/bin/glsa-check -d affected 2>&1 | mail -s "`hostname -f`:
16 glsa-check" znmeb@×××××××.net
17
18 Note it should all be on one line.
19