From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:37:10
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:30:37 +0100 Alexandre Buisse
3 > <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I quite agree with the Patriot act comparison, and I would be
6 >> interested to know what you think our real problems are.
9 > Not a complete list, but probably a good starting point:
10 >
11 > * Portage. Gentoo hasn't delivered anything useful or cool for two
12 > years or so. Things like layman are merely workarounds for severe
13 > Portage limitations (not a criticism of layman). Delivery to end users
14 > is based around what's possible with Portage, not what people want or
15 > need. In the mean time, managing a Gentoo system has become much more
16 > complicated due to the increased number of packages on a typical system
17 > and the increased requirements for the average user. Combined with
18 > serious improvements in the competition, Gentoo's benefits are rapidly
19 > diminishing. Until there's a general admission that Portage is severely
20 > holding Gentoo back, anything delivered by Gentoo will be far below
21 > what could really be done.
22 >
23 > It's been claimed that Gentoo lacks direction. It's more accurate to
24 > say that the inability to change Portage prevents Gentoo from going
25 > anywhere. That small interface improvements can be passed off as a big
26 > deal and that users get excited over minor config file tweaks is
27 > indicative of how low people's expectations really are.
28 >
29 > I don't claim to know everything that users want from the package
30 > manager. I know that everything in [1] has been described by at least
31 > one user as a major advantage for not using Portage. Unfortunately,
32 > most of these aren't things that can be delivered easily with the
33 > current codebase.
34 >
35 > (Incidentally, since someone will probably try this argument: I held
36 > these beliefs long before I started work on a Portage alternative.)
37 >
38 Well, I assume most everyone on this list has read the blog post about
39 Gentoo being unsuitable for servers. If not, I can hunt it down, but
40 it's a starting point for discussions about Portage and package
41 managers. I'll just throw out a couple of my own comments:
42
43 1. As far as I'm concerned, the one thing that absolutely positively
44 should have happened now but hasn't is some scheme where you have
45 something like Red Hat/Fedora's "green checkmark/red bang" indicator on
46 your desk, indicating whether your system is up to date, and a
47 classification of the available updates into security, bug fixes and
48 enhancements. I don't ever remember how long Red Hat has had that, and I
49 know Debian and the other apt-based package managers have something
50 similar, even if it's just a command-line level. On Gentoo, even with
51 the latest Portage, I do "emerge --sync; emerge -puvDN world" and just
52 get a list. There's no way to tell which of those are must-haves for
53 security without reading changelogs.
54
55 2. Just last year, the organization that is developing the LSB (Linux
56 Standard Base) standards got around to forming a working group on
57 package management. Bluntly put, everybody's package management sucks in
58 some way or another, and there are three major Linux package management
59 systems (RPM, apt and Portage) in addition to Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP
60 and R all having their own package management systems. But ... the Red
61 Hat/RPM/yum folks were there ... the Debian/Ubuntu/apt folks were there
62 ... and I think the Perl and Python people were there ... Gentoo wasn't!
63 There doesn't seem to be any Gentoo representation on the Linux
64 Standards Base at all! So a "standard Linux" will end up being some
65 usable compromise between Red Hat/Fedora, Debian/Ubuntu, Novell/SuSE,
66 Perl/CPAN, Apache, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Python and PHP.
67 > * Similarly, the belief that Portage defines Gentoo and represents a
68 > lot of work. The tree defines Gentoo, and contains far more code than a
69 > mere package manager.
70 >
71 The tree, like an ordinary tree, is a complex adaptive system, including
72 code, developers and users. I obviously don't have the same insight as a
73 developer, but I think it's in pretty good shape. As near as I can tell,
74 it's second only to Debian in terms of its size. There may be more RPMs
75 world-wide than there are .debs or ebuilds, but they *aren't* all
76 together in one place.
77 > * The wrong idea of what the user base is, and what the target user
78 > base is. Gentoo's direction is too heavily influenced by a small number
79 > of extremely noisy ricer forum users, many of whom don't even run
80 > Gentoo. Unfortunately, this self-perpetuating clique wields huge
81 > amounts of influence.
82 >
83 You may not know what the user base is, but you can probably get a
84 pretty good idea of how *large* it is relative to Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian
85 and openSuSE by doing some simple web page hit statistics research using
86 publicly-available tools and data. And I think you'll be amazed at how
87 small that base is. Distrowatch was right about that part -- Gentoo
88 "share of mind" is dropping and dropping rapidly, although I don't think
89 it's because of misbehavior in the community. I think it's because:
90
91 a. Daniel Robbins left and went to Microsoft, leaving no "Mr. Gentoo", and
92 b. No effort to seek corporate support, at least none that I'm aware of.
93
94 In short, I'm not sure there is any future for *any* "pure community
95 distro". Somehow Gentoo needs to at least find a marketable defendable
96 niche and some kind of corporate sponsorship. Maybe embedded will turn
97 out to be that niche -- I'd love to have even 1/4 of Portage on
98 something like a Zaurus or "iPhone".
101 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
102 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
103
104 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
107 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list