From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:26:29
1 [Oh no! How did I let myself get sucked into a gentoo-dev thread? ;-)]
2
3 On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:31 -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
4
5 [...]
6 > I'll just throw out a couple of my own comments:
7 >
8 [ I'm skipping the first one because it doesn't interest me]
9
10 [Comment about Gentoo's non-participation in LSB]
11
12 While I somewhat agree, I think Gentoo's main selling point (at least
13 for me) is that is the way it stands out from your typical Linux distro.
14 It's source-based package system was once what distinguished it from the
15 rest. In summary, I don't think Gentoo should totally adapt to what
16 "the rest" are going any more than I think Slackware or GoboLinux
17 should. What I do see is that perhaps there are ideas that Gentoo has
18 that maybe other distros could benefit from, and vice versa. But
19 sometimes we have to agree to disagree with "mainstream".
20
21 As for "enterprise"... that's fine. Gentoo has traditionally been the
22 kind of distro that throws you just enough rope to hang oneself, so I
23 never really considered it an "enterprise" Linux, but if that is the
24 direction that it wants to head in then it benefit it to make it more
25 known to the general public.
26
27 [Stuff about distrowatch, other distros and "market" share...]
28
29 > Gentoo "share of mind" is dropping and dropping rapidly, although I don't think
30 > it's because of misbehavior in the community. I think it's because:
31 >
32 > a. Daniel Robbins left and went to Microsoft, leaving no "Mr. Gentoo", and
33
34 I would generalize this more. I would say that "Mr. Gentoo"
35 isn't/wasn't Daniel Robbins but Larry, and in recent times Larry has not
36 enlightened us with his vision of Gentoo and where it's going. We have
37 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml but where do we go from there?
38 Maybe we need to have a sit down with Larry so we can know what Gentoo
39 really is.
40
41 > b. No effort to seek corporate support, at least none that I'm aware of.
42
43 I would also like to generalize this more. Instead of "corporate
44 support" I would say funding, whether it's corporate or what. I think
45 it's important to convince people that they should give us money, and we
46 should have the wisdom and capability of receiving said money and doing
47 something productive with it.
48
49 > In short, I'm not sure there is any future for *any* "pure community
50 > distro". Somehow Gentoo needs to at least find a marketable defendable
51 > niche and some kind of corporate sponsorship. Maybe embedded will turn
52 > out to be that niche -- I'd love to have even 1/4 of Portage on
53 > something like a Zaurus or "iPhone".
54
55 It's NFP, but even NFP has to have some sort of structure and unified
56 vision. Even my neighborhood coop has decent solidarity and a marketing
57 strategy.
60 Albert W. Hopkins
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list