From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:04:38
1 quoth the Albert Hopkins:
2
3 > [Comment about Gentoo's non-participation in LSB]
4 >
5 > While I somewhat agree, I think Gentoo's main selling point (at least
6 > for me) is that is the way it stands out from your typical Linux distro.
7 > It's source-based package system was once what distinguished it from the
8 > rest. In summary, I don't think Gentoo should totally adapt to what
9 > "the rest" are going any more than I think Slackware or GoboLinux
10 > should. What I do see is that perhaps there are ideas that Gentoo has
11 > that maybe other distros could benefit from, and vice versa. But
12 > sometimes we have to agree to disagree with "mainstream".
13
14 > Albert W. Hopkins
15
16 Exactly. LSBs insistence on using RPM as the "One True Package Manager" seems
17 incredibly daft to me. It was RPM-hell that steered me towards Gentoo all
18 those years ago in the first place. I cannot put into words how much I loathe
19 RPM.
20
21 Seems to me if Gentoo wholesale adopted the LSB then it would be little more
22 than another Redhat/SuSe clone no? And nobody here wants that, do they?
23
24 Portage (or the tree as Ciaran puts it) is _still_ the chief reason I use
25 Gentoo, and I rather think it will always be...
26
27 just another Gentoo luser,
28 -d
29 --
30 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
31 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
32 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list