From: Rob C <hyakuhei@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:49:03
1 On 14/03/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:30:37 +0100 Alexandre Buisse
5 > > <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> I quite agree with the Patriot act comparison, and I would be
8 > >> interested to know what you think our real problems are.
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > Not a complete list, but probably a good starting point:
12 > >
13 > > * Portage. Gentoo hasn't delivered anything useful or cool for two
14 > > years or so. Things like layman are merely workarounds for severe
15 > > Portage limitations (not a criticism of layman). Delivery to end users
16 > > is based around what's possible with Portage, not what people want or
17 > > need. In the mean time, managing a Gentoo system has become much more
18 > > complicated due to the increased number of packages on a typical system
19 > > and the increased requirements for the average user. Combined with
20 > > serious improvements in the competition, Gentoo's benefits are rapidly
21 > > diminishing. Until there's a general admission that Portage is severely
22 > > holding Gentoo back, anything delivered by Gentoo will be far below
23 > > what could really be done.
24 > >
25 > > It's been claimed that Gentoo lacks direction. It's more accurate to
26 > > say that the inability to change Portage prevents Gentoo from going
27 > > anywhere. That small interface improvements can be passed off as a big
28 > > deal and that users get excited over minor config file tweaks is
29 > > indicative of how low people's expectations really are.
30 > >
31 > > I don't claim to know everything that users want from the package
32 > > manager. I know that everything in [1] has been described by at least
33 > > one user as a major advantage for not using Portage. Unfortunately,
34 > > most of these aren't things that can be delivered easily with the
35 > > current codebase.
36 > >
37 > > (Incidentally, since someone will probably try this argument: I held
38 > > these beliefs long before I started work on a Portage alternative.)
39 > >
40 > Well, I assume most everyone on this list has read the blog post about
41 > Gentoo being unsuitable for servers. If not, I can hunt it down, but
42 > it's a starting point for discussions about Portage and package
43 > managers. I'll just throw out a couple of my own comments:
44 >
45 > 1. As far as I'm concerned, the one thing that absolutely positively
46 > should have happened now but hasn't is some scheme where you have
47 > something like Red Hat/Fedora's "green checkmark/red bang" indicator on
48 > your desk, indicating whether your system is up to date, and a
49 > classification of the available updates into security, bug fixes and
50 > enhancements. I don't ever remember how long Red Hat has had that, and I
51 > know Debian and the other apt-based package managers have something
52 > similar, even if it's just a command-line level. On Gentoo, even with
53 > the latest Portage, I do "emerge --sync; emerge -puvDN world" and just
54 > get a list. There's no way to tell which of those are must-haves for
55 > security without reading changelogs.
56 >
57 > 2. Just last year, the organization that is developing the LSB (Linux
58 > Standard Base) standards got around to forming a working group on
59 > package management. Bluntly put, everybody's package management sucks in
60 > some way or another, and there are three major Linux package management
61 > systems (RPM, apt and Portage) in addition to Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP
62 > and R all having their own package management systems. But ... the Red
63 > Hat/RPM/yum folks were there ... the Debian/Ubuntu/apt folks were there
64 > ... and I think the Perl and Python people were there ... Gentoo wasn't!
65 > There doesn't seem to be any Gentoo representation on the Linux
66 > Standards Base at all! So a "standard Linux" will end up being some
67 > usable compromise between Red Hat/Fedora, Debian/Ubuntu, Novell/SuSE,
68 > Perl/CPAN, Apache, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Python and PHP.
69 > > * Similarly, the belief that Portage defines Gentoo and represents a
70 > > lot of work. The tree defines Gentoo, and contains far more code than a
71 > > mere package manager.
72 > >
73 > The tree, like an ordinary tree, is a complex adaptive system, including
74 > code, developers and users. I obviously don't have the same insight as a
75 > developer, but I think it's in pretty good shape. As near as I can tell,
76 > it's second only to Debian in terms of its size. There may be more RPMs
77 > world-wide than there are .debs or ebuilds, but they *aren't* all
78 > together in one place.
79 > > * The wrong idea of what the user base is, and what the target user
80 > > base is. Gentoo's direction is too heavily influenced by a small number
81 > > of extremely noisy ricer forum users, many of whom don't even run
82 > > Gentoo. Unfortunately, this self-perpetuating clique wields huge
83 > > amounts of influence.
84 > >
85 > You may not know what the user base is, but you can probably get a
86 > pretty good idea of how *large* it is relative to Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian
87 > and openSuSE by doing some simple web page hit statistics research using
88 > publicly-available tools and data. And I think you'll be amazed at how
89 > small that base is. Distrowatch was right about that part -- Gentoo
90 > "share of mind" is dropping and dropping rapidly, although I don't think
91 > it's because of misbehavior in the community. I think it's because:
92 >
93 > a. Daniel Robbins left and went to Microsoft, leaving no "Mr. Gentoo", and
94 > b. No effort to seek corporate support, at least none that I'm aware of.
95 >
96 > In short, I'm not sure there is any future for *any* "pure community
97 > distro". Somehow Gentoo needs to at least find a marketable defendable
98 > niche and some kind of corporate sponsorship. Maybe embedded will turn
99 > out to be that niche -- I'd love to have even 1/4 of Portage on
100 > something like a Zaurus or "iPhone".
101 >
102 > --
103 > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
104 > http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
105 >
106 > If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
107 > rabbits fire.
108 >
109 > --
110 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
111 >
112 > I'm tired, so I didn't read your whole email Ed, I will do tomorrow first
113 thing, I promise!
116 'glsa-check' if your running an anywhere close to recent version of portage
117 you should find that its already installed.
118
119 Anyway, goodnight dev list
123 /**
124 * Gentoo Forensics Team