From: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Postmortem: Gentoo + wireless
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:46:05
1 Okay, I've attempted to get wireless working on my (Gentoo 1.4) notebook,
2 but was faced with many, many problems. I'll enumerate them:
3
4 1. After installing almost all possible driver combinations and following all howtos i could find, i finally found
5 out the Dell has changed the chipset of their true mobile mini-pci cards from a cardbus-bridge+orinocco to a broadcom
6 BCM94301MP minipci card.
7
8 (about 6:00 hours)
9
10 2. After several hours of googling through the web in search for drivers i finally found broadcoms product brief on this chipset
11 There they say "Software Support: Embedded drivers for Linux(R) and VxWorks(R) operating systems"
12
13 (about 2:00 hours)
14
15 3. After months of waiting for informationon on this "embedded driver" to appear anywhere in the net or for a reply mail from broadcom about this
16 stuff, i let purchase an external AP with web-configuration, and placed it on an additional ethernet card of my router-pc,
17 set it open without WEP encryption or restriction, sealed the ethernet-card from the rest of the world via iptables and wrote some shell
18 script daemons and php web frontend scripts, to make people login via browser and then being able to access the net :-)
19
20 (about 3 months idle waiting and 6 hours configuring)
21
22 4. After testing the configuration with my laptop on the routers ethernet card instead of the AP, i have the configuration finnished and am still
23 waiting for drivers for this damn card, or at least chip-specifications to start writing some, or anything. i wrote another email to broadcom
24 for specifications since i didnt get any answer last time.
25 The support people at Dell said something about "there are rumours that someone is writing on a driver and might release it soon"
26 -- but they said this in december 2002
27
28 (about 12 hours, still in progress )
31 5. Seing this nice thread on the gentoo mailing list and feeling the urge to destroy something, instead then writing this.
32
33 (10 minutes)
36 Result:
37
38 Before you have your WLAN configuration under linux actually running assume that you wont get it running EVER - otherwise you might get
39 dissappointed
43 why am i trolling this here anyway, forget it. It has nothing todo with gentoo.
46 Eric
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list