From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:40:58
1 On 03/04/10 14:40, Dror Levin wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 16:19, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 2 - maintainers
4 >> ===============
5 >>
6 >> Who is volunteering for maintaining the wiki? We need editors and
7 >> moderators, people who look out for quality control and take care of
8 >> spam removal. So let's get together a team. I'm sure if we ask on the
9 >> forums we'll get some users interested as well.
10 > I volunteer. Spam shouldn't be that much of an issue if editing is
11 > restricted to registered users, but it is a good idea to have a team
12 > of moderators similar to the one that exists for the forums (of course
13 > users can take part of it as well as developers).
14 >
15 Most of the spam on gentoo-wiki.com comes from registered accounts.
16 Requiring registration does not stop most wiki spam. Very little of the
17 spam comes in from unregistered editors.
20 On gentoo-wiki.com we currently use a combination of anti-spam tools,
21 which seems to work best. The main 2, from a day-to-day administration
22 view are the url blacklist and manual removal of spam and associated
23 accounts.
24
25 You could require email authentication first, but I believe this is
26 unlikely to reduce spam - creating a setup that automatically deals with
27 account verification emails is trivial and throwaway accounts are too
28 easy to get hold of.
29
30 In addition I believe it would reduce the amount of positive
31 contribution more than it reduces spam - I believe people often want to
32 make quick, small corrections / additions and telling them to "come back
33 later" is going to be the same as telling them "go away".
34
35 I would highly recommend using MediaWiki as, at least from my
36 experience, it's the most prevalent of the wiki setups available. While
37 this may bring some disadvantages (number of spam attempts (tho I'm
38 nottotally convinced you'll get less than any other web form out there),
39 etc), it also brings the advantages of being well developed with a wide
40 variety of plugins, lots of wiki syntax guides / tutorials you can point
41 users to and a wide userbase with existing knowledge of the syntax.
42
43 AllenJB