From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 18:57:04
1 On 03/04/2010 18:40, AllenJB wrote:
2 > On 03/04/10 14:40, Dror Levin wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 16:19, Ben de Groot<yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> 2 - maintainers
5 >>> ===============
6 >>>
7 >>> Who is volunteering for maintaining the wiki? We need editors and
8 >>> moderators, people who look out for quality control and take care of
9 >>> spam removal. So let's get together a team. I'm sure if we ask on the
10 >>> forums we'll get some users interested as well.
11 >> I volunteer. Spam shouldn't be that much of an issue if editing is
12 >> restricted to registered users, but it is a good idea to have a team
13 >> of moderators similar to the one that exists for the forums (of course
14 >> users can take part of it as well as developers).
15 >>
16 > Most of the spam on gentoo-wiki.com comes from registered accounts.
17 > Requiring registration does not stop most wiki spam. Very little of the
18 > spam comes in from unregistered editors.
21 > On gentoo-wiki.com we currently use a combination of anti-spam tools,
22 > which seems to work best. The main 2, from a day-to-day administration
23 > view are the url blacklist and manual removal of spam and associated
24 > accounts.
25 >
26 > You could require email authentication first, but I believe this is
27 > unlikely to reduce spam - creating a setup that automatically deals with
28 > account verification emails is trivial and throwaway accounts are too
29 > easy to get hold of.
30 >
31 > In addition I believe it would reduce the amount of positive
32 > contribution more than it reduces spam - I believe people often want to
33 > make quick, small corrections / additions and telling them to "come back
34 > later" is going to be the same as telling them "go away".
35 >
36 > I would highly recommend using MediaWiki as, at least from my
37 > experience, it's the most prevalent of the wiki setups available. While
38 > this may bring some disadvantages (number of spam attempts (tho I'm
39 > nottotally convinced you'll get less than any other web form out there),
40 > etc), it also brings the advantages of being well developed with a wide
41 > variety of plugins, lots of wiki syntax guides / tutorials you can point
42 > users to and a wide userbase with existing knowledge of the syntax.
43 >
44 > AllenJB
45 >
46 Does mediawiki have captcha ability?