From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:37:52
1 On 5 March 2010 12:24, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > It won't be pulled in by sys-apps/portage dependencies which look
3 > like this:
4 >
5 >  || ( dev-lang/python:2.8 dev-lang/python:2.7 dev-lang/python:2.6
6 >>=dev-lang/python-3 )
7 >
8 > If you already have python:2.6 installed then it will not pull in a
9 > new slot.
10
11 That means we would need to fix all packages that depend on
12 python to use this style of dependency notation. Or do some
13 eclass magic with NEED_PYTHON for example.
14
15 And of course anyone with an unslotted dev-lang/python in their
16 world file will still pull the useless version.
17
18 Another possible solution is to rename the package to a unique
19 string like dev-lang/python3, tho I agree that is sub-optimal.
20
21 Cheers,
22 --
23 Ben de Groot
24 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)