From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:22:08
1 > On 5 March 2010 12:24, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > > It won't be pulled in by sys-apps/portage dependencies which look
3 > > like this:
4 > >
5 > > || ( dev-lang/python:2.8 dev-lang/python:2.7 dev-lang/python:2.6
6 > >
7 > >>=dev-lang/python-3 )
8 > >>
9 > > If you already have python:2.6 installed then it will not pull in a
10 > > new slot.
11 >
12 > That means we would need to fix all packages that depend on
13 > python to use this style of dependency notation. Or do some
14 > eclass magic with NEED_PYTHON for example.
15 >
16 > And of course anyone with an unslotted dev-lang/python in their
17 > world file will still pull the useless version.
18
19 Then they shouldn't have dev-lang/python in their world file then should they.
20 Or should we start putting special magic rules around everywhere. Hell i'm
21 sure I have useless crap in my world file, you don't see be bitching about
22 being forced to upgrade some package I never use. If it is in there then it
23 is my responsibility, not yours.
24
25 Guys you should remember that we like to call gentoo a metadistribution [1].
26 Our users should be taking an active role in the maintenance of the own distro
27 what we should be doing is saying yes we have determined this package to be
28 stable. The news item should tell users they can safely mask python:3 if they
29 wish.
30
31 The only concern I have is all the [>]dev-lang/python [R]DEPENDs there are in
32 the tree. They should be fixed to either be slotted or a dependency range.
33 Thank god this will never happen again now that we have slot deps.... right?
34 :|
35
36 Alistair.
39 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
40 [2] and by this I mean looking to see what packages are going to be installed
41 and whether they really want to install them.