From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] min RAM to get Gentoo working
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:36:46
1 On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 07:59, Árni Þorvarðarson wrote:
2 > Hi there
3 >
4 > I heard about you at linux.org and used the link to your web site.
5 >
6 > I have lookt at the installation instructions but it is not mentiond what is
7 > the absolout minimum amount of RAM. The reasone for my question is beacause
8 > I have some old systems (486 dx2 with only 16mb of RAM) and I would like to
9 > try Gentoo.
10
11 Hi!
12
13 I have Gentoo running on an old Micron Transport Pentium laptop w/ 16 Mb
14 of ram. Note: I was generous when allocating swap space on the hard disk
15 :). This laptop runs better than ever, optimizing for PI makes a huge
16 difference (anecdotal, my perception no numbers to back that up :) And
17 Yes!, I can fire up a gnome session when I want although I normally work
18 from the command-line on this machine.
19
20 Probably the bigger issue is not the amount of ram, but how much hard
21 disk space you have. This laptop has a 2 Gb harddrive. I have to be
22 diligent in my monitoring of free disk space (cleaning up
23 /var/tmp/portage and such ) because builds will fail if you run out,
24 glibc in all its internationalized glory is a hog when compiling for
25 example.
26
27 If possible, I would suggest building packages on a faster machine with
28 more resources and transfering rather than try and compile everything on
29 the old machines.
30
31 Regards,
32