From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Static libraries
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 21:21:50
1 Alessandro Barbieri wrote:
2 > > Obviously this will only be useful for packages wanting to statically link
3 > > with libressl lib{crypto,ssl}
4 >
5 > There is an ongoing effort to remove static libraries from packages.
6
7 I know, and I couldn't disagree more with that effort.
10 > > but I think that's far better than removing libressl.
11 >
12 > No, it's not better, it's more work for the security team.
13
14 The security team isn't be responsible for what people do.
15
16 Flip side: The security team is also not entitled to decide what people
17 can and can not do.
18
19 Security is a policy and technology generally needs to avoid forcing
20 policy onto humans, but enable human decisions. You can tell that I
21 value choice.
22
23 It's certainly a good default to use shared libraries, but it's no good at
24 all to hamper legitimate functionality under a guise of security. That's a
25 far too common and really diseased pattern throughout society, and it makes
26 me sad that it proliferates also in Gentoo.
29 //Peter