From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal for how to handle stable ebuilds
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:59:52
1 On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:13:34 -0500
2 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Instead of addressing archs as being slackers or not, this addresses
5 > it as a more granular layer of looking at ebuilds. Thanks to Richard
6 > Freeman for the initial proposal that I based this off of. Please
7 > give me feedback on this proposal, if you think it sucks (preferably
8 > with an explanation why), or if you think it might work.
9 >
10 > Ebuild Stabilization Time
11 >
12 > Arch teams will normally have 30 days from the day a bug was filed,
13 > keyworded STABLEREQ, the arch was CCed, and the maintainer either
14 > filed the bug or commented that it was OK to stabilize (clock starts
15 > when all of these conditions are met).
16 >
17 > Security bugs are to be handled by the policies the Security Team has
18 > established.
19 >
20 > Technical Problems with Ebuild Revisions
21 >
22 > If an arch team finds a technical problem with an ebuild preventing
23 > stabilization, a bug will be logged as a blocker for the keyword
24 > request. The bug being resolved resets the time for the 30 days the
25 > arch team has to mark the ebuild stable.
26 >
27 > Removing Stable Ebuilds
28 >
29 > If an ebuild meets the time criteria above, and there are no
30 > technical issues preventing stabilization, then the maintainer MAY
31 > choose to delete an older version even if it is the most recent
32 > stable version for a particular arch.
33 >
34 > If an ebuild meets the time criteria above, but there is a technical
35 > issue preventing stabilization, and there are no outstanding security
36 > issues, then the maintainer MUST not remove the highest-versioned
37 > stable ebuild for any given arch without the approval of the arch
38 > team.
39 >
40 > Security issues are to be handled by the recommendations of the
41 > Security Team.
42 >
43 > Spirit of Cooperation
44 >
45 > Ebuild maintainer and arch teams are encouraged to work together for
46 > the sake of each other and end users in facilitating the testing and
47 > maintenance of ebuilds on obscure hardware, or where obscure
48 > expertise is needed. Package maintainers are encouraged to use
49 > discretion when removing ebuilds in accordance with this policy.
50
51 Since I completely stalled out this conversation I guess it's only fair
52 that I try to restart it. I'm in favor of the above.
53
54 I know it's not directly related to stabilization, but lately people
55 have been removing the only keyworded package for the mips arch, under
56 the excuse that's it's been over 30 days since they opened a keywording
57 bug. This has been happening on bugs where there are technical issues
58 and on bugs where we just haven't replied (in which case i can see the
59 justification). I don't think this is acceptable, just as I don't
60 think removing the only stable version of a package on an arch is
61 be acceptable, barring the circumstances Mark outlined above.
62
63 Yes? No? Get out of our treehouse?
67 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
68 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
69 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662