From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:26:52
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:34:00 +0000 (UTC) Duncan wrote:
2 > Andrew Savchenko posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 03:05:04 +0300 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > occasionally I need a tool to "fast install Gentoo and fine-tune it
5 > > later". This happens quite often on a new job box,
6 > > oh during visits where I'm given a workstation and 3-4 hours to set it
7 > > up before doing real work and so on.
8 > >
9 > > The idea is to have binary-based Gentoo ready to work on general common
10 > > hardware with such software out of the box as fully-fledged modern gui
11 > > browsers (chromium, firefox), libreoffice, xterm, screen, vim,
12 > > compilers, ldap support and other dev tools. Set of packages may vary,
13 > > but the idea is that they should work out of the box due to tight
14 > > constrains on initial system configuration (boss should see that I'm
15 > > doing my job at the end of the day).
16 > >
17 > > But afterwards I'd like to tune this setup in a usual Gentoo way:
18 > > configure kernel, USE flags, {C,CXX,F,FC,LD}FLAGS, select proper
19 > > alternatives and so on more or less accordant to the devmanual.
20 >
21 > I've never used it myself, but from what I've read, that's pretty much
22 > what the gentoo-based sabayon linux does. It's a binary-based distro
23 > that lists as a major feature (from its homepage):
24 >
25 > >>>
26 >
27 > Binary vs Source Package Manager
28 >
29 > It's up to you whether turn a newly Sabayon installation into a geeky
30 > Gentoo ~arch system or just camp on the lazy side and enjoy the power of
31 > our binary, dumbed down Applications Manager (a.k.a. Rigo). With Sabayon
32 > you are really in control of your system the way you really want.
33 >
34 > <<<
35 >
36 > [After reading a bit on the sabayon site to satisfy my own curiosity as
37 > well, something I had been meaning to do anyway...]
38 >
39 > When first installed, sabayon has a portage config synced with the sabayon
40 > build servers, same USE, etc. The recommendation is to choose either
41 > entropy, the native sabayon binary package manager, or portage, and stick
42 > with it, but there's documentation available for "advanced users" who
43 > want to keep the two in sync and thus be able to use both, or who want to
44 > switch (presumably from sabayon prebuilt binaries to gentoo build-from-
45 > source) later. Do note that sabayon is based on gentoo/~amd64, however,
46 > so switching to stable amd64 will be downgrading. Also, they use the
47 > hard-masked-in-gentoo portage-9999 live-build version, so even switching
48 > to ~amd64 portage will be a (generally minor) downgrade for it.
49 >
50 > So a quick sabayon install and update via entropy, followed by an update
51 > of the portage config (the entropy package updates will have diverged
52 > from the initially synced state) using the appropriate tool, should leave
53 > you with a generally current and synced system built from binaries.
54 >
55 > That's your working system at end-of-day.
56 >
57 > At that point you can switch to portage using the instructions provided,
58 > review and change any USE flags and other portage settings you wish, and
59 > do an emerge --newuse --update --deep @system and @world, and the result
60 > should be basically the same as if you'd done it the conventional gentoo
61 > way. The biggest caveat is likely to be if you were targeting stable
62 > amd64, not ~amd64, since that'd be a downgrade, since sabayon is ~amd64
63 > based. But it should be as possible as it is on gentoo, since that's
64 > essentially what you're left with after the switch to portage, a gentoo
65 > ~amd64 system.
68 > FWIW, this is the big reason I've never been a big booster of either a
69 > gentoo GUI installer (automating things for mass installation using a
70 > script is an entirely different thing, tho), or a gentoo binpkg project.
71 > Gentoo is good at what it does, the stage-3, initial manual install, and
72 > from-source ebuild scripts and the main tree, and gentoo-based distros
73 > already provide good binary and GUI-install solutions. As such, gentoo
74 > itself trying to do either gui installs or binpkg primary packaging is
75 > going to be coming late to the game and reinventing wheels other gentoo-
76 > based distros have not only already invented, but are already quite
77 > expert in. Let each one keep to its strengths and the whole ecosystem
78 > will be better for it. =:^)
79 >
80 > And while sabayon is apparently currently ~amd64 only, given their
81 > experience doing a gentoo-based binary distro, I'd suggest that it'd be
82 > far more efficient to join sabayon and get a build going that targets
83 > gentoo stable or whatever alternative arch instead of ~amd64, than it
84 > would be to try to do a full-fledged gentoo-binpkg alternative project.
85 > Again, let each build on its strengths and together build a bigger and
86 > stronger community, as a result. =:^)
87 >
88 > But like I said, I _do_ believe there's a place for an automated build-
89 > script install solution operating from a pre-made configuration file, to
90 > automate the mass-install end of things. To my knowledge, there's no
91 > existing gentoo-based distro doing that, yet, so it's a hole waiting to
92 > be filled. =:^)
93
94 Thank you for the information. I never investigated possibility to
95 use Gentoo derivatives (aside from system rescue cd) for such task
96 because I was not sure if they allow switching to pure Gentoo
97 system afterwards.
98
99 Looks like Sabayon is a good solution for such cases, so I'll test
100 it on next occasion.
101
102 Best regards,
103 Andrew Savchenko