From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:34:16
1 Andrew Savchenko posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 03:05:04 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > occasionally I need a tool to "fast install Gentoo and fine-tune it
4 > later". This happens quite often on a new job box,
5 > oh during visits where I'm given a workstation and 3-4 hours to set it
6 > up before doing real work and so on.
7 >
8 > The idea is to have binary-based Gentoo ready to work on general common
9 > hardware with such software out of the box as fully-fledged modern gui
10 > browsers (chromium, firefox), libreoffice, xterm, screen, vim,
11 > compilers, ldap support and other dev tools. Set of packages may vary,
12 > but the idea is that they should work out of the box due to tight
13 > constrains on initial system configuration (boss should see that I'm
14 > doing my job at the end of the day).
15 >
16 > But afterwards I'd like to tune this setup in a usual Gentoo way:
17 > configure kernel, USE flags, {C,CXX,F,FC,LD}FLAGS, select proper
18 > alternatives and so on more or less accordant to the devmanual.
19
20 I've never used it myself, but from what I've read, that's pretty much
21 what the gentoo-based sabayon linux does. It's a binary-based distro
22 that lists as a major feature (from its homepage):
23
24 >>>
25
26 Binary vs Source Package Manager
27
28 It's up to you whether turn a newly Sabayon installation into a geeky
29 Gentoo ~arch system or just camp on the lazy side and enjoy the power of
30 our binary, dumbed down Applications Manager (a.k.a. Rigo). With Sabayon
31 you are really in control of your system the way you really want.
32
33 <<<
34
35 [After reading a bit on the sabayon site to satisfy my own curiosity as
36 well, something I had been meaning to do anyway...]
37
38 When first installed, sabayon has a portage config synced with the sabayon
39 build servers, same USE, etc. The recommendation is to choose either
40 entropy, the native sabayon binary package manager, or portage, and stick
41 with it, but there's documentation available for "advanced users" who
42 want to keep the two in sync and thus be able to use both, or who want to
43 switch (presumably from sabayon prebuilt binaries to gentoo build-from-
44 source) later. Do note that sabayon is based on gentoo/~amd64, however,
45 so switching to stable amd64 will be downgrading. Also, they use the
46 hard-masked-in-gentoo portage-9999 live-build version, so even switching
47 to ~amd64 portage will be a (generally minor) downgrade for it.
48
49 So a quick sabayon install and update via entropy, followed by an update
50 of the portage config (the entropy package updates will have diverged
51 from the initially synced state) using the appropriate tool, should leave
52 you with a generally current and synced system built from binaries.
53
54 That's your working system at end-of-day.
55
56 At that point you can switch to portage using the instructions provided,
57 review and change any USE flags and other portage settings you wish, and
58 do an emerge --newuse --update --deep @system and @world, and the result
59 should be basically the same as if you'd done it the conventional gentoo
60 way. The biggest caveat is likely to be if you were targeting stable
61 amd64, not ~amd64, since that'd be a downgrade, since sabayon is ~amd64
62 based. But it should be as possible as it is on gentoo, since that's
63 essentially what you're left with after the switch to portage, a gentoo
64 ~amd64 system.
67 FWIW, this is the big reason I've never been a big booster of either a
68 gentoo GUI installer (automating things for mass installation using a
69 script is an entirely different thing, tho), or a gentoo binpkg project.
70 Gentoo is good at what it does, the stage-3, initial manual install, and
71 from-source ebuild scripts and the main tree, and gentoo-based distros
72 already provide good binary and GUI-install solutions. As such, gentoo
73 itself trying to do either gui installs or binpkg primary packaging is
74 going to be coming late to the game and reinventing wheels other gentoo-
75 based distros have not only already invented, but are already quite
76 expert in. Let each one keep to its strengths and the whole ecosystem
77 will be better for it. =:^)
78
79 And while sabayon is apparently currently ~amd64 only, given their
80 experience doing a gentoo-based binary distro, I'd suggest that it'd be
81 far more efficient to join sabayon and get a build going that targets
82 gentoo stable or whatever alternative arch instead of ~amd64, than it
83 would be to try to do a full-fledged gentoo-binpkg alternative project.
84 Again, let each build on its strengths and together build a bigger and
85 stronger community, as a result. =:^)
86
87 But like I said, I _do_ believe there's a place for an automated build-
88 script install solution operating from a pre-made configuration file, to
89 automate the mass-install end of things. To my knowledge, there's no
90 existing gentoo-based distro doing that, yet, so it's a hole waiting to
91 be filled. =:^)
96 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman