From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 17:12:38
1 On 07/26/2014 07:59 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:14:41 +1000
3 > Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 07/23/2014 09:36 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
6 >>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:21:00 +1000
7 >>> Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> What a great way to kill the distro.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I can already heat my house with the number of unnecessary rebuilds
12 >>>
13 >>> Do you upgrade @world every hour and thus have it cause excessive
14 >>> heat?
15 >>>
16 >>> If I upgrade every X weeks they become much more cool and
17 >>> necessary...
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> Shouldn't we strive to avoid the unnecessary rebuilds in the first
21 >> place? Doing updates on your schedule only avoids the symptom, not the
22 >> problem.
23 >
24 > We should strive to do both; cause less rebuilds, update less often.
25 >
26 > It is comparable to flooding on IRC channels; if you send much more
27 > messages, you are much more likely to experience a kick and/or a ban.
28 >
29 > It is easier not to flood than to convince people there is no problem
30 > with you flooding the channel; out of all the IRC channels I know of,
31 > I've only come across one where they don't mind pasted long code blocks
32 > but that's mostly because of the lack of active moderation and people.
33 >
34 > (With "flooding" as "updating" and "kick/ban" as "rebuilds")
35 >
36 Each person should update at a frequency that suits them. Recommending
37 to update every $period is not a valid solution to unnecessary rebuilds.