From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Catalyst{,2} and 2006.0
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:38:35
1 On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 04:00 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
2 > [unsnip]
3 > >>> BTW, will next release use catalyst or catalyst2?
4 > [/unsnip]
5 >
6 > So?
7
8 We will be using catalyst 2.0 (or better).
9
10 > But what about helping by "working on an official Gentoo release"?
11
12 Learn catalyst intricately. The main problems that we have are
13 ebuild-related, so a very strong working knowledge of ebuilds are a
14 must, along with the ability to troubleshoot and patch python and bash
15 for catalyst/genkernel. For this release, there won't be enough time.
16 While testing is a major part of release-building, it is also the
17 easiest.
18
19 > Seems, that you are having a tough time...
20
21 Not so much... I have had quite a few volunteers for testers and even
22 some build volunteers, but nobody so far to make sure stuff works
23 *before* we get into the release.
24
25 Want to help out? Make sure all of the base system works on every
26 architecture you can get your hands on from a bootstrap. Make sure the
27 same works from a 2005.1 (or 2005.1-r1) stage3 to build a stage1
28 tarball. Those two places are where we hit the majority of our bugs
29 during a release.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team