From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Catalyst{,2} and 2006.0
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:05:32
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:05 -0500, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
7 >>> So what about the first problem? Working, real configs for gentoo releases? I am thinking
8 >>> something of the kind, will it be possible/good/easy to start preparing a few configs for the
9 >>> next release (2006.0 right?), complete configs starting from say stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2
10 >>> (as usually x86 is getting the most beating).
11 >>
12 >> emerge -av livecd-specs livecd-kconfigs is a good starting point.
15 > While these are for the 2005.1 release, they are still perfectly valid for use in catalyst 2.0.
16
17 Aha! That was the missing piece of the puzzle :-)
18
19 [unsnip]
20 >>> BTW, will next release use catalyst or catalyst2?
21 [/unsnip]
22
23 So?
24
25 >>> And as a good practice, leave all configs (for some time) in the source of catalyst sot that
26 >>> anybody , more in practice than in theory, can produce an install CD.
27 >>
28 >> catalyst 2.0_rc12 at least installs lots of examples in /usr/share/doc/catalyst-*/examples
31 > Correct. The examples are probably the best documentation out there.
32 >
33 > The simple truth is that we have been making so many changes to the code over the last year or so
34 > that it has been impossible to keep up with the web-based documentation. We'd rather have
35 > working code than pretty documents. Sorry guys.
36
37 Yes, thes examples are quite good, however as I said before, real (=working) examples weere needed.
38 (note to /me => `emerge -s livecd && emerge -a livecd-specs livecd-kconfigs`)
39
40 >>> Customized bootable CD can be used NOT only for: Installing on "strange" hardware
41 >>
42 >> i'm using catalyst to generate install cds for a custom medical device.
43 >>
44 >> hang out in #gentoo-releng ... thats where i learned all about catalyst.
47 > Please, please, please... do *not* join #gentoo-releng unless you want to watch us talk. We are
48 > nearing release times which means that *nobody* that is not working on an official Gentoo release
49 > will have voice in that channel. The channel is *not* a catalyst support channel. There is a
50 > mailing list for that express purpose. We don't need a flood of people coming in asking how to
51 > use the application while we're busy trying to get a release out the door. If you want catalyst
52 > help or just to discuss catalyst, please join the gentoo-catalyst mailing list.
53
54 "OK" and $point = "taken";
55 @blabla = join {channel => "#gentoo-releng", nic => "korokoro", mode => "listen"} or die;
56 while(<@blabla>)
57 {
58 &listen;
59 &RTFM;
60 &emerge;
61 }
62
63 But what about helping by "working on an official Gentoo release"?
64 Seems, that you are having a tough time...
65
66 / No, I am not a dev, but that was on my "wish/TODO list" for 2006 :-) /
67
68 Kalin.
72 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
74 --